Applications are now closed for the inaugural Irish Mathematics Learning Support Network (IMLSN) annual tutor award.
The announcement of the 2019 award went as follows:
Applications are now invited for the inaugural Irish Mathematics Learning Support Network (IMLSN) annual tutor award. The IMLSN are seeking applications from exceptional mathematics and/or statistics tutors working in mathematics learning support (MLS), in third level institutions, on the island of Ireland.
Each candidate must provide:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A short video (5 minutes max) which answers the question, “what makes you an effective MLS tutor?” To do this, candidates should spend:
- Approximately 1 minute explaining why they believe MLS is important and worthwhile.
- Approximately 1 minute explaining the importance of having a caring, empathetic and personable approach.
- Approximately 3 minutes describing their pedagogical approach to MLS.
Marks will NOT be awarded for production quality of the video. For example, a recording on a mobile phone is acceptable.
Candidates should upload their video to YouTube (or similar video hosting site, setting it to “Unlisted” or “Public”) and submit the link to the video with their application.
- A written reference, ideally from the director/manager/line manager of the support centre in the candidate’s institution. Contact details must be provided in the event that the judges decide to contact the referee. The reference MUST:
- State the capacity in which they know the candidate.
- Comment on the candidate’s interaction with students, fellow tutors and management.
- Comment on the candidate’s performance as an MLS tutor.
- Comment on any accomplishments or items of note in the area of mathematics learning support achieved by the candidate. For example, resources developed, projects worked on, etc.
- Be maximum of 500 words.
There is no limit to the number of applications per institution.
The directors/managers/line managers of mathematics/statistics support centres are NOT eligible to apply for this award.
Each application will be judged by a panel of independent and international judges.
Applications that fail to adhere to the rules or guidelines will not be considered.
The winning candidate(s) will receive a piece of crystal to commemorate the winning of this prestigious award.
By applying for this award, candidates are giving their permission for their application to be viewed by the IMLSN committee and its appointed judges.
Closing date for applications is midnight on Friday the 31st of May 2019.
A copy of the 2019 announcement can be downloaded as a docx file here: Tutor Award Poster.